22 CFR 1003.4 – Inter-American Foundation system of records requirements.
§ 1003.4 Inter-American Foundation system of records requirements.
(a) The Inter-American Foundation will maintain in its records any such information about an individual as is relevant and necessary to accomplish a purpose of the Inter-American Foundation required to be accomplished by statute or Executive order of the President.
(b) The Inter-American Foundation will collect information to the greatest extent practicable directly from the subject individual when the information may result in adverse determinations about an individual’s rights, benefits, and privileges under Federal programs.
(c) The Inter-American Foundation will inform each individual whom it asks to supply information, on the form which it uses to collect the information or on a separate form that can be retained by the individual of:
(1) The authority (whether granted by statute or Executive order of the President) which authorizes the solicitation of the information and whether disclosure of such information is mandatory or voluntary;
(2) The principal purpose or purposes for which the information is intended to be used;
(3) The routine uses which may be made of the information, as published pursuant to paragraph (d)(4) of this section; and
(4) The effects on him or her, if any, of not providing all or any part of the requested information.
(d) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (k) of this section, the Inter-American Foundation will publish in the Federal Register at least annually a notice of the existence and character of its system of records. This notice will include:
(1) The name and location of the system or systems;
(2) The categories of individuals on whom records are maintained in the system or systems;
(3) The categories of records maintained in the system or systems;
(4) Each routine use of the records contained in the system or systems, including the categories of users and the purpose of such use;
(5) The policies and practices of the Inter-American Foundation regarding storage, retrievability, access controls, retention, and disposal of the records;
(6) The title and business address of the Inter-American Foundation official or officials responsible for the system or systems of records;
(7) The Inter-American Foundation procedures whereby an individual can be notified at his or her request if the system or systems of records contain a record pertaining to him or her;
(8) The Inter-American Foundation procedures whereby an individual can be notified at his or her request how he or she can gain access to any record pertaining to him or her contained in the system or systems of records, and how he or she can contest its content; and
(9) The categories of sources of records in the system or systems.
(e) All records used by the Inter-American Foundation in making any determination about any individual will be maintained with the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, and completeness reasonably necessary to assure fairness to the individual in the determination.
(f) Before disseminating any record about any individual to any person other than an agency the Inter-American Foundation will make reasonable efforts to assure that such records are accurate, complete, timely, and relevant for Inter-American Foundation purposes unless the dissemination is required pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552.
(g) The Inter-American Foundation will maintain no record describing how any individual exercises rights guaranteed by the First Amendment unless expressly authorized by statute or by the individual about whom the record is maintained or unless pertinent to and within the scope of an authorized law enforcement activity.
(h) The Inter-American Foundation will make reasonable efforts to serve notice on an individual when any record on such individuals is made available to any person under compulsory legal process when such process becomes a matter of public record.
(i) The Inter-American Foundation will establish rules of conduct for persons involved in the design, development, operation, or maintenance of any system of records, or in maintaining any record. Each such person will be instructed regarding such rules and the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 552a. The instruction will include any other rules and procedures adopted pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552a, and the penalties it provides for noncompliance.
(j) The Inter-American Foundation will establish appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to insure the security and confidentiality of records and to protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to their security or integrity which could result in substantial harm, embarrassment, inconvenience, or unfairness to any individual on whom information is maintained.
(k) At least 30 days prior to the publication of a notice in the Federal Register at least annually regarding the routine use of the records contained in the Inter-American Foundation system or systems of records including the categories of users and the purpose of such use, pursuant to paragraph (d)(4) of this section, the Inter-American Foundation will also:
(1) Publish a notice in the Federal Register of any new use or intended use of the information in the system or systems; and
(2) Provide an opportunity for interested persons to submit written data, views, or arguments to the Inter-American Foundation.